Monday, August 3, 2009

Joe Niekro



I'm back from a 25 mile canoe trip in the Ozarks and I'm ready to post some more cards (and forget about my sun burned feet and legs).

Here's a card of Joe Niekro I bought on eBay. I never had a chance to obtain a signed Niekro card either through the mail or in person, so I bought this one.

Joe made his debut in '67 with the Cubs. He played the majority of his career with the Astros (1975-85). Over all, he played 22 seasons and with a total of 7 clubs. During his time with Houston he was an All-Star selection in 1977 and the 1979 NL The Sporting News Pitcher of the Year. Additionally, he pitched in the World Series with the Twins in 1987.

Joe was known for his knuckleball, hence the nickname "Knucksie".

His only major league home run was pitched to him by his brother Phil on 5/29/76. I wonder how many times that has happened in pro baseball.

Joe died 10/26/06 of a brain aneurysm.

1 comment: