Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bob Bruce: Lucky #3

I sent Bob Bruce a card on 6/23/07 and never got it back. I found a new address on-line and sent him two cards on June 4, 2009 and they were returned on June 16th---RTS. However, unlike most returns I get, the new address was listed on the label. I put Mr. Bruce's 1963 and 1966 Topps cards back in the mail the next day, thinking I'll try one more time.

You know what they say: third time's a charm. My cards came back yesterday, June 22nd, and both were signed.

Bruce started out with the Tigers in 1959 and played his last game with the Braves in '67. He was the 12th major league pitcher to strike out three batters in nine pitches; only 39 people have done this to date.

Here he is with the Colt .45s on his '63 Topps, #24:

2 comments:

  1. Way to be persistent! Great looking card.

    I have only hvae one card from that set and it happens to be a Colt. I was wondering if you knew if all the cards in the set had the city name abbreviated like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I really try to get the older players and only give up if I run into a dead end with no hope.

    I have about 3/4 of the Houston cards from the 1963 Topps set. I pulled them out and there seems to be no rhyme or reason how Topps listed the town.

    This is what I see on mine:

    HOUSTON COLT 45s
    HOUSTON COLT .45s
    HOUS. COLT 45s
    H. COLT 45s
    HSTN. COLT 45s

    ReplyDelete