Saturday, June 6, 2009

Dave Roberts

David Arthur Roberts was traded to the Astros in December 1971 and played with them until being traded to Detroit in December of '75. He spent 13 years in the majors and played for eight different major league clubs. He once commented "The way I look at either I'm a bum or everyone wants me".



Roberts' best years were with the Astros. In '73, Roberts he had a career-best of 17 wins and a 2.85 ERA over 39 games. That year, he pitched six shutouts and a total of 12 complete games.


Here are two cards I sent to Dave ten years ago, his 1973 and 1974 Topps issues:


I really like this next one; it looks like it might have been taken in my back yard.




Dave died in January 9th at the age of 64 from lung cancer. He worked as a boiler maker during the off season early in his career which means he would have come into contact with asbestos while on the job.

RIP Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment